View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Mario Mario est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member

Default Revisiting this "Soul" versus "Spirit" business...

I recently reviewed what Hussein posted in the "LECTURE HALL" in the section called "The Daheshist Teachings — Dr. Ghazi Brax."

It would seem that what I wrote above in regard to "Soul" and "Spirit" might be in conflict with what Brax has written.

Let me first (self)quote (and I've highlighted the section in question):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
That being said, I'll now distillate for you what what Loutfi Radwaan understood from what was written as far as the Daheshist Principles — as proclaimed by Doctor Dahesh from the start, and later adopted by thousands of his educated followers :

"Man"
is made up of a body, fluids, and a soul.

Incidentally, in Arabic, "Soul" and "Spirit" are interchangeable.

In other words, we use the same word for "Soul" and "Spirit".

For the purposes of this presentation, I will (dare and) assume that what is meant here is "Soul".

OK, so "Man" is made of a body (singular), fluids (plural), and a soul (singular).

Remember the antidote to insomnia (my preamble) above?
Good, because we're about to add a slightly higher level of difficulty:

The (human) body itself is made up of fluids — formal, generic fluids found in "nature" (which, is also made of fluids...)
Let's use some analogies: Imagine a honey comb. The honey the bees produces varies in taste based on what flowers they eat from. However, they all make the same kind of wax.

Or, imagine two computers using the same parts, yet, are different in the sense that they are run by two different operating systems. Think "Software" versus "Hardware." Better yet, imagine all the computers of the world use the same type of metal frame...
Hence, in the Universe, there exists generic building blocks in the same fashion we have generic bricks and mortar that can either go into the construction of a palace or electrical room.

Enter the SPIRITUAL fluids (a step above the GENERIC fluids), and these are (technically speaking) the SOFTWARE that makeup the essence of the human self.

As for the SOUL, ah... well, it is a Divine and Pure essence that is not bound by the natural laws, and resides in the community (or society) of Spirits (again, in Arabic, we use the same word for both. So, I am going to go out on a limb and say that "The Soul resides in the community of Spirits").

As I have explained: In the book that Doctor Dahesh gave me, and not unless I am mistaken, only the word "روح" was used when referring to either the "soul" and the "spirit."

Now, let's read what Dr. Brax wrote (and I gather this was translated from Arabic) and I have highlighted the part in question in section 8 from Part 2 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussein View Post

8 - The Spirit and the Soul:

The Fluids - whether they are in men or in beings other than men, living in the paradisaical or infernal material worlds - are different from the Spirits. For, the Spirits are divine beings that do not commingle with bodies, and are unblemished by any material condensation, since matter is a contingent resulting from imperfection and defilement; whereas the Spirits' habitat is the world of perfection.

Each Spirit is Mother-Origin to many Fluids emanating from it; and these Fluids exist in incarnations that differ in the degrees of their spiritual elevation; they are dispersed in various worlds of Paradise and Hell, and are connected to their Mother-Origin by imperceptible radiating ties.

The degree of the Spirit in its world is affected by the degrees of its Fluids that are scattered in the expanses of the universe. The more purified Fluids it is able to regain, the higher the degree of elevation it would reach.

The Greatest aim of the Spirit is to be reunited with its divine origin (The Creator-Power). However it can never achieve that unless it has already regained all of its Fluids, had been first united with the Divine Power of "Christ", and has reached the highest degree of the Heavens.

And as every Spirit longs to return to its Father-Creator, so too every elevated Fluid, whether in humans or in any other beings, cannot escape feeling the longing to return to its Mother-Spirit; for solely through this return is its true salvation and happiness.

As for the soul of the human, it is nothing else than the ensemble of his vital Fluids.

And within each soul, every Fluid has its own peculiar activity, which could be independent from the activities of all the other Fluids within the oneness of the human personality, or could be in some sort of a harmony with them. This reality is reflected in the individual's desires and motivations that are sometimes conflictive, and some other times coordinative, as in his thoughts that are sometimes discordant, and some other times concordant. And in view of this fact, it is justifiable to say that the human personality is composed of an ensemble of partial personalities, which are the Fluids, and at the same time, it is part of a more inclusive spiritual entity, whose Fluids are dispersed in the expanses of this universe in both its Paradise and Hell, and whose brother-parts are linked to the Mother-Spirit.

Dr. Ghazi Brax
Lights upon Dr. Dahesh and Daheshism

"used with permission"
to be continued
So, Dr. Brax writes (as per the English translation) that the soul is merely the "ensemble" of a person's "vital fluids."

In Daheshist terminology, and based on further research into this matter, that "ensemble" of a person's "vital fluids" is called (in Arabic):"نفس" (pronounced "Nafss")

Now, parallel to that, the book that Doctor Dahesh gave me (authored by Loutfy Radwaan) uses "روح" (Rooh) to denote what Brax seems to refer to as "soul." In other words, he should have used the word "نفس" instead of "روح". But, as I explained, in the dictionary, both are interchangeable.

However in the context of Daheshism, Lootfy Radwaan could have been saying:

" 'Man' is made up of a SOUL and A SPIRIT. "

Being that SOUL= "The Ensemble of a Man's Vital Spiritual Fluids" and the use of the word "SPIRIT" would in fact be reserved to describing "the Divine and Pure essence that is not bound by the natural laws, and resides in the community (or society) of Spirits ..."

And, we would have a distinction between the SPIRITS and their MOTHER-SPIRIT (which I referred to as SOUL, being that, once again, Radwaan used the same word to denote SOUL and SPIRIT.