Daheshville Forums  

Go Back   Daheshville Forums > Daheshville U.S.A. > Library > Separating Myth from Reality

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Loup Solitaire Loup Solitaire est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member

Quote of Mario:

"In 1948, the poet Haleem Dammoos The Daheshist published a prophecy on behalf of the founder of Daheshism.

I have a copy of that prophecy. It is scary. Towards the end, there was an invitation to the people of Lebanon to repent and feel remorse. The result? Everyone laughed ..."

Maybe the wrong war, but do we have the right prophecy? Or were you referring to some other writting of Haleem Dammoos?

Last edited by Loup Solitaire; 01-15-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Daheshville Daheshville est déconnecté
Administrator

It's the same one.

In 1948, Haleem Dammoos (who was given the prophecy) relayed it to the press.

In 1976, Doctor Dahesh quoted it in that chapter that ended up in his "Strange Tales and Wondrous Legends, Part 3 ", and to which the comments regarding Atlantis were added.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:26 PM
WingedPaladin WingedPaladin est déconnecté
Auditing (Read Only) Member as of 09/06/09

Default 12 Blessings

What interests me the most here is the 12 blessings and how it is performed in the Aetherius Society - they give the 12 blessings like an active prayer and radiate the love and energy of it forward. I had always before read the beatitudes as something more passive given as instruction, "If you choose to be this way, you will be blessed." Wednesday night, I pulled out my Book of Mormon and read 3 Nephi 12. something stood out to me which hadn't before in verse 1:

"And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words unto Nephi, and to those who had been called, (now the number of them who had been called, and received power and authority to baptize, was twelve) and behold, he stretched forth his hand unto the multitude, and cried unto them, saying: Blessed are ye if ye shall give heed unto the words of these twelve whom I have chosen from among you to minister unto you, and to be your servants; and unto them I have given power that they may baptize you with water; and after that ye are baptized with water, behold, I will baptize you with fire and with the Holy Ghost; therefore blessed are ye if ye shall believe in me and be baptized, after that ye have seen me and know that I am."

(This detail is not mentioned in Matthew 5...but then Jesus told the Nephites that He shows them greater miracles than He did the Jews because of their faith in Him.)

Thus it struck me that Jesus here was giving the people of ancient America (if not the world) a blessing at that very moment.

Connections/Similarities

Below is the LDS scholar Hugh Nibley's commentary on Egyptian archeology and the Book of Abraham:
Part 5 - Hugh Nibley - Faith of an Observer - *Video* Mormon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOaHlB0P3IE

"I made it [the principle of plural marriage and being sealed to Joseph Smith] a subject of prayer and I worried about it because I did not dare to speak to a living being except Brigham Young. I went out and got between three haystacks where no one could see me. As I knelt down I thought, why not pray as Moses did? He prayed with his hands raised. When his hands were raised, Israel was victorious, but when they were not raised, the Philistines were victorious. I lifted my hands and I have heard Joseph say the angels covered their faces. I knelt down and if ever a poor mortal prayed, I did. A few nights after that an angel of the Lord came to me and if ever a thrill went through a mortal, it went through me. I gazed upon the clothes and figure but the eyes were like lightning. They pierced me from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet. I was frightened almost to death for a moment. I tried to waken my aunt, but I could not. The angel leaned over me and the light was very great, although it was night. When my aunt woke up she said she had seen a figure in white robes pass from our bed to my mother's bed and pass out of the window."

("Mary Elizabeth Lightner, Address at Brigham Young University, April 14, 1905," typescript copy, BYU Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Provo, Utah, 1-3.)

"One of my earliest recollections [of Joseph Smith] was the dedication of the Temple. My father took us up on his lap and told us why we were going and what it meant to dedicate a house to God. And although so very young at that time, I clearly remember the occasion. I can look back through the lapse of years and see as I saw then Joseph the Prophet, standing with his hands raised towards heaven, his face ashy pale, the tears running down his cheeks as he spoke on that memorable day. Almost all seemed to be in tears. The house was so crowded the children were mostly sitting on older people's laps; my sister sat on father's, I on my mother's lap. I can even remember the dresses we wore. My mind was too young at that time to grasp the full significance of it all, but as time passed it dawned more and more upon me, and I am very grateful that I was privileged to be there."

("The Autobiography of Sylvia C. Webb," Saints' Herald 62, no. 12 (24 March 1915): 289; see also Karl Anderson, Joseph Smith's Kirtland: Eyewitness Accounts (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book, 1989), 182-83.)

The dedication of the Kirtland Temple... was nothing short of a Pentecostal experience.

From lack of knowledge and experience, I am ignorant of any similarities of this with Dr. Dahesh and his teachings, etc.

Last edited by WingedPaladin; 01-18-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:34 AM
WingedPaladin WingedPaladin est déconnecté
Auditing (Read Only) Member as of 09/06/09

Default Hugh Nibley

The first time I heard of Hugh Nibley, I was in high school and a friend had told me that when he was young, he sat in a library and read every book in that library from one corner to the other. I don't remember which library it was. I thought perhaps it was the BYU library existent at the time he was a young man. The BYU Harold B. Lee Library now is 6 stories high and has undergone an underground expansion a little over 10 years ago.

I met Hugh Nibley by the elevator of the BYU library and I was so much in awe of being in his presence, I could say little more than "hello." I saw him once more in passing on the sidewalk on the BYU campus. He passed away about three years ago, but left a legacy of scholarly work, especially concerning the Book of Abraham and Egyptology.

Last edited by WingedPaladin; 01-31-2009 at 03:03 AM.