Daheshville Forums  

Go Back   Daheshville Forums > Daheshville U.S.A. > Grand Plaza > Report Abuse

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Mario's Avatar
Mario Mario est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seul Loup View Post
His life in New York could have easily been sustained by the proceeds of sale of his art to the Zahids. But he lived for years in Beirut. Can you give me your theory as to how he supported himself all those years. For example, do you know how many of his books were sold, and what income did they provide?
Being a person who is well aware with how important computer language logic and syntax is, you will most certainly understand that I can't answer a question that is built upon a shaky premise.

So allow me to answer with a question that — so far — no one has thought to ask those who seem to have succeeded in rewriting the history of what was — basically — an extended spiritual family.

If Doctor Dahesh did in fact sell his museum to this or that family, why would he then feel the need to draft a will in which he gives his museum away to that same individual, family, or whatever, who supposedly paid for it?

And why wouldn't this person, family, or whatever, (who allegedly purchased the museum fair and square) show (as early as 1984) the world the bill of sale (the receipt)instead of repeatedly invoking the will?

I don't have answers for these questions and I cannot answer any question based upon them as a premise.

Lastly, we cannot simply chuck this piece of code from the equation simply because it represents a conflict: the bigger picture as a whole would suffer.
__________________
"Fail, to succeed."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Ziyad Ziyad est déconnecté
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 104
Default

I don't have an answer, but I assume that there was some sort of tacit agreement with the Zahids, an agreement that the Zahid family would buy all the art and support Dahesh during his entire life and that in return he would make them his inheritors when he passes away.

In any case, seul loup, it is certainly not the book sales that allowed Dahesh to make a living. No writers in this part of the world make a living selling their books, not even today. And keep in mind that the books were self-published, so it cost money to print them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Mario's Avatar
Mario Mario est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziyad View Post
I don't have an answer, but I assume that there was some sort of tacit agreement with the Zahids, an agreement that the Zahid family would buy all the art and support Dahesh during his entire life and that in return he would make them his inheritors when he passes away.

In any case, seul loup, it is certainly not the book sales that allowed Dahesh to make a living. No writers in this part of the world make a living selling their books, not even today. And keep in mind that the books were self-published, so it cost money to print them.
If that is the case, then what about those countless Daheshists (including Dr. Dahesh himself) who contributed to the (let's call it) "treasury" of Daheshism. For the record — after his death — I used to receive money from two contributors, which in turn I would forward to the "treasury" via check.

I am sure that somewhere in the "grand vault" of Daheshism there lies stacks of ledgers outlining who contributed what — a tradition that was started years before the Zahids came into the picture.
__________________
"Fail, to succeed."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Ziyad Ziyad est déconnecté
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
If that is the case, then what about those countless Daheshists (including Dr. Dahesh himself) who contributed to the (let's call it) "treasury" of Daheshism. For the record — after his death — I used to receive money from two contributors, which in turn I would forward to the "treasury" via check.

I am sure that somewhere in the "grand vault" of Daheshism there lies stacks of ledgers outlining who contributed what — a tradition that was started years before the Zahids came into the picture.
Yes, there certainly were countless other contributors in the early stages (If my memory serves me well, it was only in the late 1960s that Mirvat Zahid met Dr Dahesh), but I guess the Zahids must have been perhaps the biggest contributors in the last fifteen years and they certainly had other qualities that led Dr Dahesh to trust them.

On another note, I wonder who's the keeper of this "grand vault" you mention, and more generally, who is the "memory bank" of Daheshism, who is the keeper of the Daheshist archives. I am sure these archives contain a wealth of material that would be of interest to future historians and sociologists. I hope someone somewhere is taking care of these arhives and that they were not lost.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Mario's Avatar
Mario Mario est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziyad View Post
but I guess the Zahids must have been perhaps the biggest contributors in the last fifteen years and they certainly had other qualities that led Dr Dahesh to trust them.
Everything — from a Daheshist perspective — is relative.

And for all we know: he tested the Zahids by giving them their own "cross" to bear. So, what I am saying (and I've written a lot about this issue over the years) is this: in the final analysis, he didn't play favorites. There is a lot of history that you guys don't know. However, it's not your fault that you engage in speculation. After all, who was it that — for years — has spoken about their (alleged) financial arrangements with a person some of us consider to be a major prophet and the return of Jesus Christ?

Gee, I can't wait for us to move to the subject of all the women he allegedly brainwashed (as per that Zaven show)!

Meanwhile, the important issues are shoved under the carpet and the clock is ticking...

And, for record, let it be know that between 1998 and 2000 I had a dream in which Doctor Dahesh ordered me to stop sending money to the Dahesh Museum.
__________________
"Fail, to succeed."
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-27-2010, 03:56 AM
Mario's Avatar
Mario Mario est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziyad View Post

But I still felt something is missing. Both brothers I felt when reading their books were already predisposed to believe in Dahesh BEFORE they met him. Therefore, I still did not have a full understanding of how Dahesh was able to attract followers who did not already have family members being believers.
I can tell you that I once arranged for my 9th grade school teacher to meet Dr. Dahesh. I can't remember his name (although I am sure I have his signature somewhere... I pretty much kept all my school reports from that era and I can certainly draw a picture of him, but I digress), but one time (and that was during a catechism class at the College Mont La Salle, circa 1974 or 1975... probably 6 or 7 months before the civil war broke out) he brought up the subject of a book authored by "Antoine Issa" whose title is (I believe) "I am a Daheshist" (written in French).

And if that was not enough, he began talking about the book and the fact that there was this religion called Daheshism in Lebanon, in the most objective manner that prompted me to tell Chucri about it. He was as amazed as I was to hear it. So he talked to the Doctor and (probably a few days later) he told me to go ahead and offer that teacher an invitation to meet the Doctor. And that's what I did. After class, I went up to him and I sort of whispered "Mr. so and so, if you would like to meet Dr. Dahesh, I can arrange that for you." He was stunned and quasi immediately said "Yes!"

To make a long story short, I asked him to meet Chucri and I at a particular spot (I'll need a map to tell you exactly where...) He drove up. I made the introductions. I believe Chucri and he chatted a little bit. Then Chucri asked me to return home and call "the House" (as it was called) and to let Zeina know that they were on their way. When I called — and I was very nervous, because I've never called "the House" before, but then again, being that Zeina was the one who typically answered the phone (and who called our residence), I felt more at ease.

Who answers the phone? The Doctor.
I managed to deliver the message. He thanked me.

Now, I'll get to the part where I actually seems germane to your comments:

This teacher saw Miracles. But we never again discussed Doctor Dahesh. He was a great teacher and treated me fairly. In fact, I can show you the grades he gave me in 9th grade, then in the 10th grade (he taught me for two years — there was a slight rearrangement of teachers' rosters during the civil war).

But I did ask him about it, one time, while we were in Ajaltoun (Mont La Salle had rented a whole floor from the nuns — this was an orphanage — and I actually lived there for one scholastic year. I had a bed in an infirmary room... )

I remember saying something to the effect that the "Miracles" of Doctor Dahesh proved this or that. He cut me off and said "prove what?!"

It was certainly a touchy subject. And from his tone, it was almost as if he wished he'd never gone to see Doctor Dahesh.

Ziyad, had you met Doctor Dahesh in the flesh, you would have been affected, one way or the other. I am not saying you would have shouted "I believe!" Far from it. I mean... maybe, who knows... But I assure you that you would have been touched, one way or the other. By the way, one other famous "Georges Chakkour" practically ran out from his house (no, not my brother, but that other famous Lebanese author called Georges Chakkour... you might have heard about him. We even studied one of his beautiful poems in class — well, he ran out of Doctor Dahesh's house, he couldn't handle what he saw)

So I guess what I am saying is that in order to "understand" you must try and think about some experience that deeply affected you in your life. I don't know you, so I can't presume and I won't. But if you've had one such experience, try and relate to that. Sure, the historians and sociologists are going to have a field day dissecting and analyzing. But in the final analysis, I'm telling you, none of them will get it.

And, unfortunately, some Daheshists cannot and will not divulge some information. I mean, what's the point of Doctor Dahesh trusting them when his most personal thoughts if they are going to turn and profit financially from it?

As for me, I felt that it was necessary to set the record straight about certain issues. And who knows, if I see certain people abuse or misuse their position, I might open the gates I work very hard to keep shut — because, in the final analysis, what is important is that the message is spread. But if I had to make a choice, I would much rather take it all to the grave with me.

The only thing I might leave behind is my book of dreams. There are some tender passages in there, especially the three recent dreams I had about the late Raifah Kabbani — a sister with whom I worked countless hours, and one who used to appear regularly in my dreams involving Doctor Dahesh.

In fact, that piece of music you hear as the sound track for the Zaven show (which was "borrowed" from the movie Sandrine put together) was something I wrote especially for her memory. May she rest in peace.
__________________
"Fail, to succeed."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Mario's Avatar
Mario Mario est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,572
Default

Regarding that teacher: I just remembered how we got to the point of my stating that that the Miracles proved this or that...

First, this was after school. Since I lived on the premises, I used to go and hang out a bit outside the orphanage's main office, where there was a switchboard and concierge's window "manned" by a nun.

So that spot was a regular hub where a few people would congregate after school. Well, on that day, that teacher was waiting for someone to pick him up.

I also remembered him talking about those students who went out partying while their friends went fighting. So, he had a lot of resentment regarding that issue.

I must have said something to which (and that I remember his saying): "What? You're expecting a Dahesh Miracle?"

That was out of the blue and I do remember politely saying that we shouldn't joke about things like that. I really liked him and I didn't want him (in my way of thinking) to offend God by making fun of his Prophet.

He restrained himself and gave me the sign that he was only joking.

I don't remember how we got to the point of my saying something to which he then said "and what do these Miracles prove?"

In any case, I remember that his initial offbeat comment prompted me to open the subject up.
__________________
"Fail, to succeed."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Ziyad Ziyad est déconnecté
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 104
Default

I certainly get your point. I hear you. No one can understand or even come close to understanding if he did not go through the "spiritual experience" that it must have been to meet dahesh.

Even though I am not a very religious person, I can recognize a spiritual phenomenon when I see one. And I've seen so many testimonials from otherwise "sane" and "rational" people about Dahesh that I can only cnoclude that they were literally swept off their feet. (Abdallah El Alayli and many others were not predisposed to believe in miracles and yet they were impressed and influenced by Dahesh.

PS. I am not sure I understood your professor's story. Do you mean that he was presdisposed to believe or at least objective about Dahesh before he met him and that later, he would dismiss the miracles ? Why did he ask what do the miracles prove ?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Mario's Avatar
Mario Mario est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziyad View Post
PS. I am not sure I understood your professor's story. Do you mean that he was presdisposed to believe or at least objective about Dahesh before he met him and that later, he would dismiss the miracles ? Why did he ask what do the miracles prove ?
He certainly gave this (then) 14 year old the indication that he was predisposed to believe. Remember, he had read the book by Antoine Isaa and discussed openly in Catholic school, during catechism: saying something positive about Dahesh in a catechism is a miracle in of itself. It was so unique an experience that Chucri got involved.

So, he certainly was very eager to meet him. I also remember that his meeting Chucri (before he followed him in his car to the Doctor's house) was a positive experience.

But we never spoke about it again, although, he did walk around once with Ghazi Brax's lecture. In fact, that "traitor" I refer to as "G" (from "I once called a traitor brother") was in the same class. He went up to me and said "Did you see? He had the booklet with him!"

A couple of years later, that teacher brought up the subject of Dahesh and his Miracles in an off-color remark that prompted me to politely tell him that we should not joke about such matters. I probably said something to the effect that these were not magical tricks or "magic," but spiritual manifestation and said something to the effect of "these prove certain things" (and this was a conversation in Lebanese) to which he snapped and said "prove WHAT?!" He snapped. It was his way to shut me up. I don't know why he reacted this way. I didn't ask him.

Now, on the flip side: Zeina Hadad mentions in the interview that, at first, all members of her family were Daheshists, some of them "broke away." In this case, you have members who were predisposed to believe in Doctor Dahesh thanks to Marie Hadad. Not all of them remained faithful to him. One of them, as a matter of fact, went around spreading rumors that the Doctor was hanging out with the Zahid family because of their money. He arranged for that "person" to show up to the NYC apartment with Zeina. She waited with me in the living room while the Doctor had a "chat" with that person. The Doctor later shared with me what was said during that conversation...

And now, consider the story of David Johnson: how come he had such a powerful "spiritual experience" even though he was not predisposed to believe in Daheshism nor had the opportunity to meet Dahesh in real life?

And here, and as a side note, I feel I need to share publicly the following excerpts from an entry in my "dream book" from November 27, 2010:

Dream # 83: "Doctor Dahesh greeted David and shook his hand for the first time and kissed fondly on the cheek ... David had never met the Doctor in the flesh before ... the Doctor was very pleased with David."
__________________
"Fail, to succeed."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Ziyad Ziyad est déconnecté
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
And now, consider the story of David Johnson: how come he had such a powerful "spiritual experience" even though he was not predisposed to believe in Daheshism nor had the opportunity to meet Dahesh in real life?
Interesting.

Did David write about his experience on this forum ?
Otherwise, could you please sum up the experience ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 by StudioView Interactive, LLC.