Daheshville Forums  

Go Back   Daheshville Forums > Daheshville U.S.A. > Auditoriums > Poetry Hall > Tagore

Notices

Old 09-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Sandrine Sandrine est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member

Default My Love for Tagore ...

Being Daheshist we know that we are all linked and influenced by "Spiritual fluids" ...

Among other notions, Spiritual Fluids explain why we feel attraction, indifference or sometimes repulsion...

I love India ... I love Gandhi ... I love and respect Tagore ... Why ? ... Spiritual Fluids ... "A special connection" that I feel deep down in my heart and in my soul.

I love the idea of building a peaceful ashram ... the idea of a community of artists sharing the same faith, living in harmony...

Yes, I am a dreamer ... but I do believe in my dreams ... I know that one day, during this life, or even during my next life, I’ll see my dreams fulfilled.

Life-time is not a limitation ... Limitation is just an illusion...

I’d like to offer you a small biography of Tagore ... I think his life is a model, an inspiration ...

You will also find an interesting link of an article of Mr Rasoul Sorkhabi intituled "Einstein and The Indian Minds : Tagore, Gandhi and Nerhu" – Current Science, Vol. 88 – N° 7 10 April 2005: www.ias.ac.in/currsci/apr102005/1187.pdf

I hope you’ll have a peaceful Sunday ...

Sandrine

Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941)

Tagore is one of the greatest writers in modern Indian literature, Bengali poet, novelist, educator, and an early advocate of Independence for India.
Tagore won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913.

Tagore's influence over Gandhi and the founders of modern India was enormous.

Tagore was born into a wealthy and prominent family in Calcutta, West Bengal on 1861. His father was well known Hindu reformer and mystic. His mother, died when Tagore was very young - he realized that she will never come back when her body was carried through a gate to a place where it was cremated. Tagore's grandfather had established a huge financial empire for himself. He helped a number of public projects, such as Calcutta Medical College.

The Tagores tried to combine traditional Indian culture with Western ideas. However, in one of his book “My Reminiscences” Tagore mentions that it was not until the age of ten when he started to use socks and shoes. And servants beat the children regularly.

Tagore received his education at home. He was taught in Bengali, with English lessons in the afternoon. He read the Bengali poets since his early age and he began writing poetry himself by the age of eight. Tagore's first book, a collection of poems, appeared when he was 17; it was published by Tagore's friend who wanted to surprise him.

He was sent to England because his father wanted him to become a lawyer. In 1879, he enrolled at University College, at London. In England Tagore started to compose the poem 'Bhagna Hridaj' (a broken heart) but was called back by his father to return to India in 1880.

In 1883 he was married and Tagore's family chose his bride, an almost illiterate girl of ten, whom he married with little ceremony. They had two sons and three daughters. The eldest was born when his wife was 13. Tagore's wife died in 1902 at the age of 32, next year one of his daughters died, and in 1907 Tagore lost his younger son.

In 1901 he founded the famous Shantiniketan Ashram near Calcutta. This was designed to provide a traditional ashram and Western education. He began with 5 pupils and 5 teachers (three of whom were Christian). His ideals were simplicity of living and the cultivation of beauty.

Tagore's reputation as a writer was established in the United States and in England after the publication of GITANJALI: SONG OFFERINGS, about divine and human love. The poems were translated into English by the author himself. Tagore wrote his most important works in Bengali, but he often translated his poems into English.

In 1913, he was awarded the famous Nobel Prize and used the prize money to improve his school at Shantiniketan.

Much of Tagore's ideology comes from the teaching of the Upahishads and from his own beliefs that God can be found through personal purity and service to others. He stressed the need for new world order based on “trans-national” values and ideas, the "unity consciousness."
"The soil, in return for her service, keeps the tree tied to her; the sky asks nothing and leaves it free." Politically active in India, Tagore was a supporter of Gandhi, but warned of the dangers of nationalistic thought.

Between the years 1916 and 1934 he travelled widely. On his journeys and lecture tours Tagore attempted to spread the ideal of uniting East and West. Tagore was not politically motivated and tried to harmonise the views of east and west.

While in Japan he wrote: "The Japanese do not waste their energy in useless screaming and quarreling, and because there is no waste of energy it is not found wanting when required. This calmness and fortitude of body and mind is part of their national self-realization."
Unable to gain ideological support to his views, he retired into relative solitude.

At the age of 70 Tagore took up painting and, he held major exhibitions of his paintings in the West. He was also a noted composer, settings hundreds of poems to music. Many of his poems are actually songs, and inseparable from their music.
His works and his life influenced film director Shri Satyajit Ray, who had been one of his pupils.

In August 1941, Shri Rabindranath Tagore was moved from Shantiniketan ashram to Calcutta for an operation. Tagore's 'Our Golden Bengal' became the national anthem of Bangladesh. Only hours before he died on August 7, in 1941, Tagore dictated his last poem. He passes away in the same house in which he was born in.

His written production, still not completely collected, fills nearly 30 substantial volumes. Tagore remained a well-known and popular author in the West until the end of the 1920s, but nowadays he is not so much read.

Last edited by Sandrine; 09-17-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Sandrine Sandrine est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member

Default Doctor Dahesh and Tagore

Yesterday, I forgot to mention that Doctor Dahesh himself paid a beautiful homage to Tagore in his book called: “Memoirs of a dinar” (translated into French from the Original arabic version -1942- Editions of “An-Nisr Al Mohallek” – Beyrouth (Liban)).

In this book, four paragraphs are dedicated to Tagore:

Paragraph N° 46 is entitled: Tagore “The inspired philosopher and poet of India”

Paragraph N° 47 is entitled: A poem of Tagore

In this paragraph, Doctor Dahesh presents 3 poems of Tagore :
- Mystical singings
- I am The Servitor of your desire
- Purity

Paragraph N° 48 is entitled: Conversation with Tagore

Paragraph N° 49 is entitled : “Legend of The Truth”
In which Doctor Dahesh depicts Tagore, narrating a beautiful tale about the noble virtue of “Truth” …

I will give you these extracts in the French “Salon de la Poésie”.

Sandrine