Daheshville Forums  

Go Back   Daheshville Forums > Daheshville U.S.A. > Auditoriums > Debate Center > Noetic Science

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Loup Solitaire Loup Solitaire est déconnecté
Board of Directors Member

Default A Not So New Movie

I watched a movie the night before last, entitled Stigmata. What I expected and what I saw were far apart. In this movie, the victim is not some religious enthusiast, but an avowed atheist. And rather than exhibiting one or two stigmatas, this character was going through every body part involved in the stigmata, one after the other. And, they are rather violent scenes. In the end, it becomes apparent that the victim is possessed by an extremely religious priest who, prior to his death, was trying to verify precisely what Jesus expected of his followers. Instead of his followers creating an elaborate organization as the Catholic Curch, Jesus wanted all to know that God does not exist in some institution, but within each person, creature and object. In fact, God lives within everything including inanimate objects. This seems a contradition since inanimate objects by definition do not possess a spirit. The Catholic Church becomes aware of the priest and used all of its' resources to discredit the priest in life. The Priest possessed a document, written in Aramaic, he believed to be the Gospel of Jesus.

Again, the message of this movie, was that no Church was necessary for one to reach God or Jesus. Souuuuund familiar? The Good News is that a maverick priest releaves the possessed person of the spirit of the priest and assumes the mission to bring the message to all.

Beside delivering a message that I appreciated, the movie was entertaining. I think people in this age are gradually accepting this possibility. However, current Church Leaders are taking the Church in, what I believe, is the wrong direction.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Mario Mario est déconnecté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Solitaire View Post
However, current Church Leaders are taking the Church in, what I believe, is the wrong direction.
How so and, oh yeah, thanks for the spoiler alert! (Not!)
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM

I really didn't expect anyone to actually want to see it, although, some of the some of the scenes near the end were good. And the evil of the Catholic Church was presented as ever menacing. The story and screen play were by Tom Lazarus.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Mario Mario est déconnecté

Great... now he's giving away the movie credits. OK, seriously though, I'd like you to expand on those couple of bombshells you dropped... let's see... "the evil of the Catholic Church " ... and that other stuff you mentioned above..."current Church Leaders are taking the Church in, what I believe, is the wrong direction." See, I ask because in all the years I've known you, I don't think you've been that blatant.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 AM
zionic zionic est déconnecté

On the contrary, the direction that the leadership of the Catholic Church has been taking the Church in is a very good direction. It's just too bad that so many Catholics prefer the direction of most everyone else, while discounting its own deep pool of wisdom, doctrine and experience.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 PM

I don't think the current regime is doing anything to correct past missteps. Recently, the main thing young priests are pushing is evangelizing to bring new people into the church. They need the money don't they?? They need bigger and more comfortable buildings to shelter the flock from the summer heat.

Look, I belong to the "Big Church". And there are things I do agree with. For example, I think abortion should not be an accepted form of birth control. And I won't fight the Church's stand against gay marriage. But I also see a lot of effort to pull people in. The definition of evangelize is to convert people to Christianity. If there is a void in a person's life and Christianity fills it, fine. But they are trying to create an aggressive group of lay people to bring in any and all people. I see this as a new and maybe suttle change.

As far as Pope Francis is concerned, he may be a good guy?? He knows poverty, he's lived in it. But he isn't going to change anyone's perspective about the role that women are allowed to play. And what about addressing 1600 years of misleading people. This church should be called the "Church of Constantine". The man hijacked the early Christian Church. The orignial goals are all but lost.

Has anyone read a book entitled "Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth" by Reza Aslan. My perspective is that he was trying determine who the historical Jesus was. He's been criticzed by many, I think because he is, currently, a Muslim. He prefers to define himself as a religious scholar. He was fairly objective about Jesus. I think that there is a growing population of people who believe in Jesus without an association to a Chrisrian church. And I think they need some representation to validate who they are. I think a person can have respect and appreciation of Jesus and still be a Jew or a Muslim.

If we decided to critique any church, there would be lots of things to be said. I'm not criticizing Catholics but the church. I am a Catholic. Actually, I guess I should qualify that. I'm really a part timer.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:09 PM

Default More in response to Alan

Pope Francis was a Jesuit Priest and I think that the Jesuit Order is inclined to push back against the established order. My interpretation from this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Jesus, is that in the beginning, the Jesuits pledged themselves to resist politics if it is the right thing to do. But at times, the Jesuits have been given the job that no one else wants. And let the blood flow where it will.

I certainly do not mean to insult or disrespect anyone else's feelings about Catholicism or the Pope. My feelings are....mine.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Default Eating Crow

Pope Francis must have read my comments. Someone leaked that discussion is going on about altering the requirement for celibacy for priests. And within the last year or so, an Anglican Priest converted to Catholicism and was allowed to remain married.